Any open jobs will be posted below with a description and application instructions.
Those who are interested in submitting an application for future consideration may do so here.
The library will keep these applications on file for at least 6 months and review them in the event of any job openings.
Assistant Library Director Job Opening
The Craighead Co. Jonesboro Public Library in Jonesboro, Arkansas is looking for an Assistant Library Director to help lead and support our fun and creative staff of more than sixty employees as we embark on some new and exciting projects. Located an hour northwest of Memphis, TN in the northeast corner of Arkansas, we serve a growing population of over 130,000 with our main facility in Jonesboro, and seven smaller branches spread throughout two counties. Some responsibilities would include assisting with any special projects, overseeing our branch services, serving as a liaison to our Friends of the Library support group, and updating and revising policies and procedures as necessary. We are a very collaborative minded group and are looking for an individual with a similar mindset.
Candidates should have a Master’s degree in Library Science as well as a minimum of three years’ experience in a supervisory capacity. The starting salary will be between $55,000 and $60,000 depending upon experience. We also offer a generous benefits package including 100% employer paid health and dental insurance premiums for each fulltime employee.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter, resume, and list of references to Jordan Wilson, Assistant Business Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to 315 West Oak Avenue, Jonesboro, AR 72401. This job will remain open until we find the right person.
Job Title: Assistant Director
Reports to: Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By: David Eckert and Phyllis Burkett
Prepared Date: August 2010
Revised By: Morgan Sallee
Revision Date: August 2018
This position provides leadership and support throughout the organization ensuring excellent service to all library patrons and staff. Responsibilities include assisting the Director in overseeing all operations of the departments of the main library and branch libraries, human resource compliancy issues and practices, and personnel management. The Assistant Director serves as the library’s liaison to the 7 branch libraries, the Poinsett County Library Boards, and the Friends of the Library.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Customer Service
- Lead and promote excellent customer service to all library customers and staff.
- Represent the library and establish relations with outside vendors.
- Maintain employee and patron confidentiality according to state and federal laws.
- Supervision and Leadership
- Assist the Director in overseeing all aspects of the main library and branch locations. Take responsibility for all aspects of the library in the absence of the Director.
- Ensure excellent interdepartmental cooperation and coordination.
- Regularly draft and update policies, procedures, job descriptions, and any other documents as needed. Communicate any changes and ensure they are being followed correctly.
- Hold monthly branch meetings and regularly work closely with the 7 branch libraries and the Poinsett County Library Board to ensure communication and coordination between all 8 locations.
- Act as the liaison to the Friends of the Library to enhance communication between the library and the FOL. Provide advice as the library representative, assist them when appropriate with their operations, and provide marketing materials and other resources as needed.
- Represent the Library through leadership in community organizations.
- Commitment to professional growth and development including professional organizations at the state and national levels.
- Work on future planning for library services by acquiring knowledge of trends in service opportunities.
- Assist the Director and the Business Manager in preparing budgets and necessary supporting documentation for the CCJPL and CRRL Boards.
- Work with the Director and department managers in interviewing, hiring, training, evaluating, disciplining, and terminating employees.
- Ensure the library is compliant with local, state, and/or national laws with regards to all applicable Human Resource issues including record keeping, employment practices, and benefits.
- Assist the Director in planning for future workforce needs.
- Collection Development and Maintenance
- Ensure appropriate standards of collection maintenance are upheld.
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Represent and promote the library at community events.
- Library Management Team
- Act as a member of the Library Management Team. Direct the team in the absence of the Director. This team has the responsibility of ensuring interdepartmental communication; assisting in the development, implementation, and evaluation of current practices; and making recommendations for short and long term planning.
Supervise all library employees. On a daily basis, supervise all department managers and branch librarians. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include assisting with interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing and resolving issues that arise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) from a college or university with an ALA-accredited program and a minimum of three years’ library experience in a supervisory capacity.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating manuals, financial reports, applicable laws, various publications, and procedure/policy guidelines. Ability to write routine procedure guidelines, reports, and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively to other library employees, volunteers, and interns; the general public; the media; library board members; Friends of the Library; outside vendors; and library patrons. Ability to speak effectively before groups of library employees, library board members, vendors, and the public.
Ability to understand and apply basic math principles as applicable to this position. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, and taxes.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in various situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver's License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk, hear, stand, sit, walk, bend, stoop, reach with hands and/or arms, and use hands and fingers to handle items. The employee is occasionally required to kneel, climb, and balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 5 pounds; and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands of this position may require the employee to operate a vehicle. An employee under the influence constitutes a threat to health or safety. This position is considered a safety sensitive position for the purpose of the Medical Marijuana Law.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.